Legal and Contact Information
Here you can find basic data on RP Photonics Consulting GmbH.
|Mail address:||RP Photonics Consulting GmbH
78073 Bad Dürrheim
|Managing director:||Dr. Rüdiger Paschotta (also responsible for any content of the website; same postal address as the company)|
|Telephone:||+49 7726 389 22 60
You can normally reach us 09:00 – 13:00 and 14:00 – 19:00 CET. For American customers: the latest time for office calls (19:00 CET) is 1:00 PM EDT = 10:00 AM PDT. With an appointment, we can also talk at other times.
|Mobile phone:||on request|
|Fax:||+49 7726 389 22 62 (do not abuse for unsolicited advertising!)|
For issues related to the RP Photonics Buyer's Guide, please use the following address:Incoming e-mails are subject to “gray listing”, a spam filtering technique. In rare cases, where a server sending e-mails is not properly configured, this can cause technical problems; please use the phone in such a case.
You are encouraged to establish secure e-mail exchange for protecting your sensitive information!
In case that you have a problem with replying to digitally signed mails, just mail to our info@ address.
|FTP:||If you need to exchange larger amounts of data (more than a few megabytes) with RP Photonics, an FTP account can be provided.|
* Skype is a Voice over IP service, i.e. it transmits voice data over the Internet. Please note that Dr. Paschotta often doesn't have Skype running because of too frequent disturbances; please send an e-mail first to agree on a time for a Skype session.
Please also see our page on privacy.
|Trade register number:||HRB 706010|
|Register court:||Amtsgericht Freiburg i. Br.|
|VAT number:||DE 274664441|
Mass Mails from RP Photonics?
Occasionally, large amounts of spam (unwanted mass mails) are spread which are claiming an e-mail address in the domain rp-photonics.com as the sender. (Many “returned” mails then arrive at RP Photonics.) Some of those mails have attachments containing malware, and others try to make you click on a dubious link. Obviously, behind such activities there are criminals who try to gain trust from possible victims by pretending that their mails are from RP Photonics, a reputable source. Some of them are also abusing our company logo.
We can give some indications for checking whether such mails are from us:
- Of course, RP Photonics is not sending out mails concerning items which are totally unrelated to its business. However, some abuse also happens in the context of photonics.
- Messages from Dr. Paschotta, the founder and managing director of RP Photonics, are always digitally signed; the signature can be validated in your e-mail program and then confirms that a mail is really from Dr. Paschotta.
- RP Photonics may ask you to click on a link in our domain (rp-photonics.com), e.g. to view one of our web pages, but not on dubious other domains.
- Our mails are all properly formatted, written with decent language etc.; the style is very different from what spammers typically use.
- Since 10/2017, we are using a so-called SPF record, with which mail providers can verify that a mail really comes from our domain. If your provider uses that technique, you don't receive such forged mails. Unfortunately, most e-mail providers do not check such records since most sender domains are not (yet) using them.
- In case of doubt, just forward such an alleged RP Photonics message to us, and we will tell you whether it was from us.
We detected the latest bigger round of such abuse in June 2017. The subject contained “Direct Export Enquiries”, and sent attachments contained malware. Targeted companies appear to be mainly in the areas of optics and electronics.
Unfortunately, there is little RP Photonics can do to prevent such e-mails; note that these e-mails are not delivered by the server which processes legitimate RP Photonics mails, but by other servers somewhere in the world on which RP Photonics has no control whatsoever. The same happens to many other companies. Such practices will end only once it is established that each e-mail has to be verified with a digital signature or with an SPF record.
Please do not put our addresses or our domain on any e-mail blacklist. Filtering criteria should be based on e-mail content and possibly other indicators, rather than on the sender or return address, which can unfortunately be forged without any special technical means.