RP Fiber Power – Simulation and Design Software for Fiber Optics, Amplifiers and Fiber Lasers
The Ultimate Tool for Passive and Active Fibers Devices
RP Fiber Power is a powerful modeling software for designing and optimizing fiber devices – in particular, fiber amplifiers and lasers as well as other types of waveguide lasers, but also fiber couplers, multi-core fibers, helical core fibers and tapered fibers.
The software offers both efficient power propagation and full numerical beam propagation. Ultrashort pulse propagation can also be studied, for example in fiber amplifier systems, mode-locked fiber lasers, telecom cables and automatically optimized pulse compressors.
RP Fiber Power is
- an enormously versatile tool for power users,
- but at the same time (particularly since V8 with Power Forms) also easily usable for those who are not (or not yet) experts in the field.
It is a must-have for anyone seriously dealing with fiber devices – be it in industrial development, scientific research or in education. Its user interface combines uttermost flexibility with an easy start. It is therefore equally well suited for efficient routine checks and for most sophisticated simulation work.
NEW: RP Fiber Power V8
Through its new feature of Power Forms, this version reaches a new level in terms of combining power, flexibility and easy of use. Essentially, these are easy-to-use forms which we provide for several simulation models, covering the most typical application areas of the software. Compared with our demo files, they are far more sophisticated – for example:
- They allow you to configure complex fiber amplifier systems with multiple amplifier stages, each one having multiple pump sources, provide multiple input signals (continuous-wave, short pulses, or ultrashort pulses), etc.
- They are very nicely made to be pretty easy to use despite their richness in features. For example, parts of the forms which are currently not relevant are hidden (e.g. showing input fields for user-defined functions only if the user indicated that she wants to define such a function). Many output fields display helpful hints when hovering on them with the mouse pointer.
- They come with comprehensive documentation: you can read what exactly is simulated, and how to configure it all.
Furthermore, you can even make extended versions of those in case that any desirable feature is missing. Or get that done through our technical support!
So you enjoy a unique combination of features:
- Very powerful simulation models – often fully sufficient to cover your simulation needs – directly out of the box, without any scripting.
- Great ease of use: just fill in your input values, configure some diagrams, and execute (and in case of doubt, read clearly written documentation).
- Full flexibility: you can extend the forms as needed – or let us extend them for you.
RP Fiber Power V8 is ready for delivery. Existing customers will soon obtain upgrade offers.
See also the version history of RP Fiber Power.
You can see all of our videos at Youtube.
The Product Brochure
You can download the brochure in PDF format.
RP Fiber Power can be applied to analyze and optimize a wide range of devices:
|Examples of Applications
single-mode and multimode fibers
|calculate mode properties such as amplitude distributions, effective mode areas, effective indices, chromatic dispersion; calculate fiber coupling efficiencies; simulate effects of bending, nonlinear self-focusing or gain guiding on beam propagation, higher-order soliton propagation
fiber couplers, double-clad fibers, multi-core fibers,
|simulate pump absorption in double-clad fibers, study beam propagation in fiber couplers, light propagation in tapered fibers, analyze the impact of bending, cross-saturation effects in amplifiers, leaky modes, etc.
|study the gain and saturation characteristics (continuous-wave or pulse amplification), energy transfers in erbium-ytterbium-doped amplifier fibers, influence of quenching effects, amplified spontaneous emission etc. in single amplifier stages or in multi-stage amplifier systems
fiber-optic telecom systems
|analyze dispersive and nonlinear signal distortions, impact of amplifier noise, optimize nonlinear management and placement of amplifiers
|analyze and optimize the power conversion efficiency, wavelength tuning range, Q switching dynamics
ultrafast fiber lasers and amplifiers
|study pulse formation mechanisms, stability ranges, impact of nonlinearities and chromatic dispersion, parabolic pulse amplification, optimum dispersive pulse compression, feedback sensitivity, supercontinuum generation
pulsed and ultrafast bulk lasers and amplifiers
|study Q switching, the mode-locking behavior, find the required characteristics of saturable absorbers, analyze the feedback sensitivity, chirped-pulse amplification study stability limits of regenerative amplification
Required computer: a PC running under Windows 10 or 11 (or at least XP), for some applications with reasonable CPU speed and memory (e.g. 8, 16 or 32 GB). For using the Power Forms, it is good to have a large screen.
Get more information:
- Learn about the software's features and the used physics model.
- See also our large selection of case studies and the video demos!
- Download the detailed RP Fiber Power PDF brochure (48 pages).
- See also the frequently asked questions.
- See our free tutorial “Passive Fiber Optics”, for which the software has been used extensively, and also the tutorial “Modeling of Fiber Amplifiers and Lasers”, which explains concepts and methods.
If you have any further questions or need a quotation: