Encyclopedia … combined with a great Buyer's Guide!

Sponsoring this encyclopedia:     and others

Conflicting Definitions of s and p Polarization

Posted on 2012-03-03 as a part of the Photonics Spotlight (available as e-mail newsletter!)

Permanent link: https://www.rp-photonics.com/spotlight_2012_03_03.html

Author: , RP Photonics Consulting GmbH

Abstract: There are conflicting definitions of s and p polarization in the scientific literature. What some people call p polarization, is s polarization for others. Obviously, that can cause confusion.

Dr. Rüdiger Paschotta

It is quite common to talk about s-polarized and p-polarized laser beams, incident on optical surfaces or diffraction gratings. Therefore, it is quite disturbing that there are conflicting definitions in the scientific literature:

So there is another trap to fall into! When reading some paper, we have to find out which definition has been used.

By the way, some people call a laser beam s-polarized, when its polarization is vertical, i.e., perpendicular to the lab's floor. It is better, though, to restrict the terms s polarization and p polarization to cases where the polarization direction with respect to a plane of incidence is relevant. For example, if you have a Brewster-angled prism in the common orientation where the reflected beam stays horizontal in direction, s polarization according to the first definition above is vertical. However, if you turn the prism such that the reflected beam goes upwards, that will change, of course.

This article is a posting of the Photonics Spotlight, authored by Dr. Rüdiger Paschotta. You may link to this page and cite it, because its location is permanent. See also the RP Photonics Encyclopedia.

Note that you can also receive the articles in the form of a newsletter or with an RSS feed.

Questions and Comments from Users


Wikipedia says that TE = s, TM = p. Are these notations completely replaceable? I don't think so, but I couldn't find clear explanation of it.

Answer from the author:

Indeed I found such a statement on the page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarization_(waves) (under “s and p designations”), and some others sources show similar things. However, I don't agree with that. In my opinion, one should not use the terms transverse-electric and transverse-magnetic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transverse_mode) in the context of electromagnetic waves propagating in a simple homogeneous medium, where both electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to the propagation direction. These terms are appropriate in the context of waveguide modes and the like, where we do have guided light. TE then means that the electric field is perpendicular to the propagation direction, while the magnetic field is not; a plane of incidence does not occur there.

Here you can submit questions and comments. As far as they get accepted by the author, they will appear above this paragraph together with the author’s answer. The author will decide on acceptance based on certain criteria. Essentially, the issue must be of sufficiently broad interest.

Please do not enter personal data here; we would otherwise delete it soon. (See also our privacy declaration.) If you wish to receive personal feedback or consultancy from the author, please contact him e.g. via e-mail.

Your question or comment:

Spam check:

  (Please enter the sum of thirteen and three in the form of digits!)

By submitting the information, you give your consent to the potential publication of your inputs on our website according to our rules. (If you later retract your consent, we will delete those inputs.) As your inputs are first reviewed by the author, they may be published with some delay.


If you like this page, please share the link with your friends and colleagues, e.g. via social media:

These sharing buttons are implemented in a privacy-friendly way!