Areas of Competence
These are just the main areas of competence. Do not hesitate to inquire about other fields. You will get an honest statement concerning the level of competence in the requested field.
Fluctuations and Noise
- noise sources: thermal noise, quantum noise, amplifier noise, vibrations
- noise specifications, mathematical description, calculations
- electronic and optical noise characterization and measurement (e.g. with spectrum analyzers or PC sampling cards; extensive know-how concerning spectral analysis, data acquisition and numerical processing)
- specialized data processing: for example, developing software for calculating noise spectra from measured raw data
- noise modeling (analytical and numerical techniques); effects of noise in components and systems
(e.g. intensity and phase noise, timing jitter, carrier–envelope offset noise, impact in metrology, e.g. in interferometers)
- noise suppression with feedback systems
- photodetection: photodiodes and preamplifiers (e.g. transimpedance amplifiers); noise limits for sensitivity
More details are given in the Powerpoint presentation Noise.ppt.
The available competence is demonstrated by the scientific publications of Dr. Rüdiger Paschotta and the Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology. Dr. Paschotta has a deep experience with laser noise, quantum noise, and electronic noise, allowing him e.g. to calculate quantum noise limits of lasers or fiber amplifiers, to identify limiting factors for laser noise, to simulate and analyze effects of noise in data transmission systems, or to develop a data acquisition system for noise measurements.