An Open Access Encyclopedia for Photonics and Laser Technology
- over 600 comprehensive encyclopedia articles on photonics, laser technology, fiber optics and general optics – the largest and most popular photonics encyclopedia worldwide
- freely available online (open access, no registration), and as a two-volume book, published via Wiley-VCH
- connected with the RP Photonics Buyer's Guide: find suppliers for hundreds of photonics products
- related blog: the Photonics Spotlight, also available as a newsletter
- also offers a glossary of photonics terms, articles grouped by categories and the Photonics Quiz
- extremely popular website: far over 50'000 unique visitors per month
- provides interesting opportunities for advertising: banners and various types of Buyer's Guide entries
This comprehensive open-access encyclopedia, authored by Dr. Rüdiger Paschotta and provided by RP Photonics Consulting GmbH, explains the physical principles and common techniques in laser technology, while also covering major areas of fiber-optic technology and nonlinear optics, and addressing supplementary topics like ultrashort pulses, optical communications, general optics, optoelectronics, and quantum optics. It contains 618 full articles, not just definitions as in a dictionary or a glossary. Many references to selected scientific articles and textbooks aid further studies. Substantial work has been invested to provide all information with textbook quality. With this work, RP Photonics provides a much appreciated service to both the photonics industry and the academic community.
The encyclopedia is freely accessible via this website. Simply click on one of the letters in the table above in order to display the keywords beginning with that letter. For conveniently finding this resource again, please bookmark the page in your browser.
The encyclopedia is also available as a two-volume book, published via Wiley-VCH. The print version has a carefully designed layout and can be considered a must-have for any institute library, laser research group, or laser company. See also our video on the encyclopedia.
Since mid 2012, the encyclopedia is intimately linked with the RP Photonics Buyer's Guide.
Dr. Rüdiger Paschotta, the author of the encyclopedia, offers a broad range of consulting services in topical areas like lasers, amplifiers, nonlinear optics and fiber optics via his company RP Photonics Consulting GmbH. Utilize his competence for your development projects! Also, you may be interested in the simulation software which he has developed.
Besides the encyclopedia articles, there are related pages, which you can reach via the menu on the top of this page:
- Grouping of the articles into categories
- Glossary of photonics terms and list of formula symbols
- RP Photonics Buyer's Guide, the ideal place for informing experts on photonics products
- The Photonics Spotlight, a blog with interesting news in photonics and laser technology (also available as a newsletter)
- The Photonics Quiz with a number of questions on laser technology and related areas
- Opportunities for advertising in the encyclopedia
- Suggestions concerning the use of the encyclopedia
- Hints for making links on your own web page
- Feedback: send comments and suggestions to RP Photonics
Examples for Available Articles in Various Topical Areas
Here you can get an overview on the topics which are covered by this encyclopedia. More …
- Lasers and amplifiers: laser design and development, laser resonators, laser and amplifier noise, erbium-doped fiber amplifiers, broad area laser diodes, fiber-coupled diode lasers, diode-pumped lasers, fiber lasers and amplifiers, power scaling, distributed feedback lasers, upconversion, gain media, amplified spontaneous emission, beam pointing fluctuations, single-frequency operation, spatial hole burning, relaxation oscillations, red, green and blue lasers, cryogenic lasers, laser modeling, beam quality, laser safety, laser specifications
- Nonlinear optics: nonlinear crystal materials, intracavity or resonant frequency doubling, sum and difference frequency generation, optical parametric oscillators, parametric generators and amplifiers, Brillouin and Raman scattering, self- and cross-phase modulation, four-wave mixing, quasi-phase matching
- Fiber optics: high power fiber lasers and amplifiers, Raman amplifiers, single-mode and multi-mode fibers, rare-earth-doped fibers, double-clad fibers, dispersion-shifted fibers, photonic crystal fibers, fiber Bragg gratings, adiabatic soliton compression, nonlinear polarization rotation
- Optical pulses: bandwidth-limited pulses, parabolic pulses, mode-locked lasers, additive-pulse mode locking, regenerative amplifiers, chirped-pulse amplification, transform limit, time–bandwidth product, frequency combs, timing jitter, pulse duration measurements, Kelly sidebands, parabolic pulses, Q-switched lasers
- Optical devices and optoelectronics: interferometers, Bragg mirrors, beam shapers, optical filters, avalanche photodiodes, light-emitting diodes, superluminescent diodes, electro-optic modulators, acousto-optic modulators, optical tweezers, arrayed waveguide gratings, integrating spheres, mode cleaner cavities, Lyot filters, integrated optics, silicon photonics
- Optical communications: optical fiber communications, fiber-optic links and networks, telecom windows, free-space optical communications, amplifier noise, bit error rate, bandwidth–distance product, optical modulators, photonic integrated circuits
- Quantum optics and quantum effects: squeezed states of light, Glauber states, quantum wells, quantum dots, light forces, laser cooling, quantum noise, shot noise, Schawlow–Townes linewidth, quantum cryptography
- Noise in optics: noise specifications, power spectral density, timing jitter, Gordon–Haus jitter, quantum noise, squeezed states of light, standard quantum limit, shot noise, relative intensity noise, phase noise, noise eaters, linewidth, stabilization of lasers
- General optics: Kramers–Kronig relations, Fourier spectrum, Gaussian beams, Hermite–Gaussian modes, Gouy phase shift, beam quality, brightness, optical resonators, waveguide dispersion, finesse, coherence, phase velocity and group velocity, superluminal transmission and causality, optical metrology
You may also browse the articles via a list of categories.